In November 2010, the Denver Public Schools (DPS) Board of Education approved a comprehensive turnaround initiative for the Far Northeast Community of Denver, a region of DPS that had suffered from persistently low levels of student achievement.
In response to the Board’s mandate, DPS created the Denver Summit Schools Network (DSSN), the most comprehensive whole school reform initiative that any district in Colorado has ever attempted.
In the fall of 2011, Blueprint began working with the 10 schools of the DSSN to plan, implement, and monitor a comprehensive turnaround plan that integrated Blueprint’s framework for school improvement.
In 2012, DPS began implementing the Blueprint Fellows Program, our daily high-dosage tutoring program, as a standalone intervention in three additional turnaround schools.
In 2013-14 Blueprint's work expanded to include the West Denver Network of turnaround schools, bringing our total number of whole-school turnaround partner schools to 22. We continued this work over the following two academic years to expand the Fellows Program to an additional 39 schools across the district.
Highlights of the DPS partnership with Blueprint include:
- New principals were identified, selected, and assigned to 9 out of 10 DSSN schools.
- During the 2011-12 school year, all DSSN schools expanded their learning time (both by extending the school day and year) by the equivalent of 260 instructional hours (or 37 additional instructional days).
- All DSSN campuses began fostering a college-going culture with the expectation that 100% of DSSN students will graduate ready to succeed in college and beyond.
- Interim assessments were administered approximately every six weeks across DSSN schools, which provided up-to-date student and school data which was used to influence classroom instruction.
- Blueprint oversaw the recruitment, selection, and on-boarding of 75 full-time tutors and 7 school-based coordinators.
- All 4th, 6th, and 9th graders received 45-60 minutes of intensive math tutoring every day in a 2:1 or 3:1 student: tutor ratio.
Learn more about the results from Blueprint’s partnerships in Denver.